Pages

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Simple Weather Table

Just futzing around with a simple weather table to give temperature, precipitation, lightning and wind all with a single d100 roll, coupled with a d4 roll for duration in days. The idea was to create periods of weather with minimal dice rolls allowing a GM to quickly plot out an entire month's worth or even year's worth of weather prior to play.


The results are weighted to give a normal seasonal temperature more often than not. Little to no wind and precipitation are more frequent than heavy winds and precipitation. Heavy precipitation has about a 50% chance of being accompanied by lightning in the spring and summer months.

The GM has to use judgment to interpret certain outcomes. Several days of heavy precipitation in the winter months will bring deep snow, several days of heavy precipitation in summer months may bring about flooding in low-lying areas, etc. Changes in weather can be made as gradual or abrupt as necessary for the GM to create a natural feel to the effects. 

11 comments:

  1. While I am not a fan of weather charts, I like this one a lot. Well done Chris. The only thing I would add, is a weather event. Say at 00 a weather event occurs and might mean tornadoes or hurricane. Winter time, a blizzard or a winter thunder storm. Some sort of dangerous weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray! You know, I was thinking I could use this for minis wargames scenarios too.

      Delete
  3. If only the really weather were this easy to predict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, sometimes I think my local forecasters use a table just like this one to make their predictions.

      Delete
  4. Nice. I've printed it out, I will use it tomorrow, and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love if the weather was this easy is real life.

    How the kitten?

    ReplyDelete