Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Saxon Leader (Slowly but Surely...)

Life has been lethargic on the painting front of late, since things have pretty much exploded at work the last few weeks. Still, slowly but surely, I'm getting models done. Even if it's one figure at a time, and it takes me six months to paint a Song of Blades and Heroes warband.

By one figure at a time, I mean that literally. I decided to get back to my Normans and Saxons, with the idea of using SBH with them (after all, why not? the shock period is just fantasy without magic, right?).  So here is the one figure I completed this weekend – a mounted Saxon leader:

The Saxon leader rides the length of his line, checking his troop.

With him complete, I have a playable Saxon warband.

Saxons ready to defend a bridge against a Norman advance party.

The minis are Revell 1/72 plastics and I found them a bit tough to paint, since they measure exactly 24 mm from the sole of the shoe to the top of the helm. As a result, the paint job lacks the level of detail that my usual Reaper fantasy models get, who generally measure in at 33-34 mm (a whole centimeter taller) for a human character. But I still think they pass the arm's length test.

I've also got my Normans primed and based and ready for paint, so hopefully the Saxons will have someone to fight soon.

13 comments:

  1. I like what you've done with the leader. He looks regal and bold. Sadly, I've learned from you blog that it's only a matter of time before he's skewered by an Amazon, beheaded by a dwarf, or driven into the ground like a stake by an ogre. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christian! Hmmm... While I'm finishing up my Normans, maybe a game of Saxons vs. Ogres... :)

      Delete
  2. Great looking figures Bard!

    Since I am no longer doing 1/72 scale in Vikings/Saxons you wouldn't be interested in some figures in various states of completion would you? A little thank you for the great RPG you are running and a bit of paying it forward that I still owe the community :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment, Dan!

      If you're seriously looking to just get those minis off your hands, I'd be glad to take them (I'll drop you a line by email).

      Though, of course, no thanks are necessary for the S&W game, since it's enormously fun for me to run it. Which is why I do it of course -- I'm basically a self-serving scoundrel running the game for my own selfish pleasure :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah shoot me an email with your address and in the next couple of weeks I'll see if I can package something up for you.

      Delete
  3. Looking fine and bold to me, keep it coming anyway you can Bard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking men. Love the RPG campaign by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that look good, difficulty in painting them aside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saxons vs Ogres? I'd love to see a battle report of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol -- you know I was only half kidding when I wrote that. :)

      Delete