Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2016

One Campaign Ends, Another Begins

My wife and I finally wrapped up our White Box campaign. It took her from first to fifth level and ran almost a year.

The cult of Vecna were hunting for their namesake's remains to raise him from the dead* and bring him back. Olivia (my wife's character) hunted down cult leaders one by one, extracted information them, and eventually pursued the head of the whole operation to (a modified version of) the Isle of Dread, where she polished off the leader and her minions, found the dusty, powdered remains of the evil Wizard (all but the hand and eye of course), and destroyed them with acid.  Along the way she solved the mystery of an elvish ambassador's assassination, stopped a bugbear invasion of the region, took out a small but up-and-coming assassin's guild, saved a childhood friend from slow poisoning, and rescued her mentor from imprisonment, torture and impending death. For her first campaign I think she did OK.


When I asked what she wanted to do next, she said "scif-fi!" We watch a lot of sci-fi on Netflix, but I've never run a sci-fi game before so I'm looking forward to it.

We've created a character for her using White Star and the White Star Companion. Our setting will be Dark Matter-ish (which is what we're currently watching on Netflix) in tone -- so no Star Knights, magic, or sapient alien races. Just humans, human colonies, cut-throat corporations, criminals, and space hazards. Her character is Cielle de Rhé, a bounty hunter. Her sidekick is a Deep Space Explorer named Duncan, and she has a Robot named Axle. She also has a battered old scout ship named The Bête noire, acquired as booty when she brought in the criminal who previously owned it.


Today is the calm before the storm before my last set of exams and research papers comes in for grading. After that I hope to get an adventure written and get the play underway over the holidays.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*I took an intentional liberty here. Officially, if I recall correctly, Vecna was destroyed and only his hand and eye survived; I decided the rest of him was not destroyed but lay hidden for years in a long forgotten temple on the Isle of Dread.

6 comments:

  1. Great that the missus is so involved and loving the game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like she has become a hardcore gamer. Well done Chris, indoctrinate the family, build a base of power and then expand. You sir are an evil genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The theme of my evil genius and supercriminal deeds seems to be a theme of late.

      Delete
  3. A satisfying end--and an equally satisying beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased with how the first game went (and surprised it ran so long). I'm looking forward to the new one!

      Delete