Pages

Friday, September 27, 2013

Strange Checkmate

Nothing to do with gaming or fantasy, but somehow this needed posting. I used to play chess quite actively, now I just putter with a handful of daily blitz games online to relax. I played a dismal game of one-minute chess with my morning coffee today, in which I hung my queen, but still managed to mate with the really strange position below:

(Apologies for the upside-down diagram; I simply took a screen shot of the board)
Black plays 34...c3# 

It wasn't a great game by any means – it was really only my opponent's poor development that let me overcome my own blunder – but the position was just so odd. I'm not sure I've ever seen so many pawns participating actively in a mating attack, with all the pieces in just a supporting role. Perhaps it's an omen that this is going to be a weird day...


4 comments:

  1. Wow. That is one weird looking chess board. Hopefully you will not be taken out by a pawn before the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully I won't be taken out by anything before the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very strange that he let those pawns get that far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back when I would play, my masters drummed it and drummed it into our heads that pawns are deadly, murderous creatures; I suspect there was a subtle black queen sacrifice that set this beauty up.

    ReplyDelete