Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Hat Trick


Yesterday was one of those good days that don't come around anywhere near as often as we'd like.

1. I had my last administrative meeting of the academic year (woot!)
2. Tim Shorts' Mini-Manor arrived in the mail (woot, woot!)
3. I got to play my first game of GURPS (woot, woot, woot!)

So this was my first time participating in the Monday Night Group's GURPS game run by Rob Conley in his own Majestic Wilderlands – a very rich and wonderful setting. While GURPS does indeed have a bit of a learning curve, Rob was really cool about helping out the newb (me). He sat me down Sunday evening on Skype to do a combat tutorial, so when we actually played Monday night, I was reasonably comfortable with the basics of fighting (thanks Rob!). Mind you, I'm a lonnnng way from mastering anything, but at least I don't think I tripped over my sword too much (though my character kind of did at one point, but that's another story).

So how did my first experience with GURPS go? I like it. It's a distinctly different creature (especially combat-wise) from the games I know. There are a couple of major differences that I really do like. The one-second combat round definitely changes the flavor of things. If a fighter gets knocked down (as I discovered last night, twice in one battle), he may spend the rest of the fight just standing back up and re-readying his weapon and shield. It sucks when it happens to you; when it happens to the other guy, it's clobberin' time! Also, the combat is very tactical – you have rather a lot of options, but they all actually do make real-world sense and are exactly what they sound like (all-out attacks, all-out defenses, feints, etc.), so they're not terribly difficult to learn or remember, especially if you've got some experience with skirmish wargaming.

All in all, a really good time. We killed some beetles and slew some skeletons. A really nasty hard-to-hit giant bat we were fighting suffered a critical dodge from a PC, flew into a wall on his attack run, and got knocked out. I drank a healing potion retrieved from a pile of dung (all of my characters seem to be pulling things out of the toilet left and right these days) and I managed not to barf it up by passing a HT check (barely). And we had a some quotable lines like:

"Skeletons are naked Zombies" and

"I'm using both hands to hold it."

So heck yeah, I'm looking forward to the next session!

13 comments:

  1. It was great to have you on board and hopefully with your new chainmail hauberk you won't be eating dirt again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob, it was a great game and I really had fun.

      As for eating dirt, I fear...

      "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our armor,
      But in ourselves, that we are newbs."

      But this will change! :)

      Delete
  2. Managed not to barf it up. Well, now that's just funny.

    Glad you had fun with the Goobers. Now you're a goober too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh. I've always been a goober. But now I'm a Goober, with a capital G.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a really good time.

      Delete
  4. "Skeletons are naked Zombies" and

    "I'm using both hands to hold it."

    Now those are good lines.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to start setting the quotes up as a game: "Guess who said..." followed by multiple choice options.

      Delete
  5. It was a ton of fun. Glad you finally got to sample our GURPS stuff. Wait till we get into a town. Then it really explodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, boy. Now you make me nervous. :)

      Delete
  6. I am really sorry that I missed the session. Trust me, I'd much much rather be gaming than sitting in a tense 3 hour long evening work meeting.

    ReplyDelete