Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam...

Alas, I've been getting lots of spam comments on the blog lately. Maybe it's a freak occurrence that will pass, or maybe I've finally gotten enough hits to draw the spammers' attention, I don't know. But in the past week, I have had to delete at least one spam comment per day that was not caught by the blogger spam filter. I used to get maybe one every few months.

I know it's not a lot compared to what some people get, but still, the annoyance factor is out of proportion to the numbers.

 Bloody Vikings...

On the plus side, all of the spam comments are anonymous, and, looking through my records, I don't appear to have any anonymous non-spam comments.  

So I've bumped up the "who can comment" setting on blogger from the "anyone" level to the "open ID" level which, theoretically, is supposed to stop anonymous comments.

I'm hoping this won't add an additional step for real readers who have real comments to make. If I'm wrong about that, and it does give you an extra step, let me know, and I'll change it back.

8 comments:

  1. It worked for me. I had anyone and then had to change it and the spam stopped. I also though, have blocked people from joining my blog.

    Wankers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting a least 20 spams a day, most are caught in the blogger filter, with the odd one creeping past, it does get on my nerves! Grrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not a spam comment. ;)

    ReplyDelete